We see energy transition as a staircase. Steps to be taken include promotion of renewable energy, lowering energy demand and making the most of the existing capacity and infrastructure. These steps must be taken in the right order to allow achieving transition against optimal economic conditions.
While energy can be treated as a commodity, energy efficiency services have a role to play as a distinguishing factor and as an integrated part with energy supply.
Rationalization of conventional energy in our view is even more than energy efficiency and energy savings. It is about making the necessary changes to the existing energy infrastructure and accommodate sustainable solutions such as renewable energy into the grid and merit order. SQ Consult therefore supports gas storage and electricity storage to facilitate transition.
SQ Consult supports public clients in shaping or improving the policy landscape in energy saving, energy efficiency and rationalisation of energy use. We do this from the basis of understanding the actual implications of these policies at the level of individual businesses or people.
We support industrial clients to effectively plan, develop and implement programs and policies as well as measure, evaluate and assess options for enhancements and improvements. A basic condition for us is that solutions need to support or enhance day-to-day business activities.
Our services cover:
• Program planning.
• Project management.
• Market strategies and analysis
• Energy demand monitoring
• Design of new energy services
• Business case development.
Our references in policy design and evaluation include:
• Leading the project team to support the European Commission in its impact assessment of the proposed Energy Efficiency Directive
• Writing the action plan on energy efficiency for a province in the Basque Country
• Supporting the Institute of Industrial Productivity (IIP) in the evaluation of industrial energy efficiency and GHG emission reduction policies of 6 countries.
Our hands-on support on new business development include:
• Identifying market options for energy storage on the North-West European Market - for Continental Gas Storage (CGS)
• Support in formulating the business case for an energy storage project - for a consortium of project developers
• Assessment of business implications of the proposed EED - for an international energy company